Emilythepemily is AN INDEPENDENT BRITISH ILLUSTRATION LABEL SELLING HAND PRINTED T-SHIRTS AND ACCESSORIES INSPIRED BY ROCK N ROLL, TATTOO AND TEA. This is a Blog by Illustrator Emily Boyd

24 Jan 2012

ps I cant wait for HOCKNEY!!!

Many of you know my favorite  artist in the world is David Hockney. Im reading his Authorised Biography



Which actually makes me end up feeling quite bad. He worked so hard and paints ALL the time it puts my lack of effort (and skill) to shame! Ive learned so much about his previous works. The subjects, the surroundings and the state of Hockneys mind whilst painting them. Its made me see his works in a totally different light. I totally recommend this book!


I also managed to drop enough hints about Hockneys forthcoming exhibition at the Royal Academy that my Husballs actually brought me a ticket! for this Saturday. I am very very excited.



DAVID HOCKNEY RA: A BIGGER PICTURE
Royal Academy of Arts, London
21 January - 9 April 2012
royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hockney
picture from  http://www.hockneypictures.com
 Whilst researching photographs for this blog I found out that hockney has a further 2 excibitions in the uk Right now. One in Bradford and one in saltaire, west yorkshire.


Not far from Manchester I say....


Bigger Trees Near Warter or/ou Peinture sur le Motif pour le Nouvel Age Post-Photographique
Currently on exhibit at: 
Cartwright Hall Art Gallery, Bradford, England
1 October, 2011 - 4 March 2012
art.yorkshire.com/exhibitions

25 TREES AND OTHER PICTURES BY DAVID HOCKNEY

Salts Mill
Saltaire, West Yorkshire, UK
14 September, 2011 - 30 April 2012
saltsmill.org.uk/new_exhibitions.php

 Im not going to attempt to critique his work but I love the simplicity and deceptive naivety of his drawings and painting, that he draws with great skill and exceptional observation. I think you can see his influence in my work. I suppose. I need to introduce colour in my work. 




Hockney...I salute you. I am not worthy.

All images not captions are from the website http://www.hockneypictures.com/home.php
Post a Comment