Emilythepemily is AN INDEPENDENT BRITISH ILLUSTRATION LABEL SELLING HAND PRINTED T-SHIRTS AND ACCESSORIES INSPIRED BY ROCK N ROLL, TATTOO AND TEA. This is a Blog by Illustrator Emily Boyd

22 Sep 2011



As many of you may, or may not know, I was brought up in Northampton from 6-20yrs.

Northampton is a funny/strange town but in a brilliant location. Its right in the centre of the uk. 1hr from Birmingham, 1r from London, and has the M1 as well as the Grand Union Canal going right through it. It's surrounded by beautiful countryside but also has everything you need in the centre.


Notable residents include Matt Smith/Dr Who- went to NSB with a lot of my friends. Alan Carr-dad was manager of the Cobblers, situated next to my house- he also went to my shitty school. Diana Spencer is buried in her family home in Althorpe.James Morrison, Leslie Joseph and a few others also lived here.


I never really thought Northy had a soul and I always felt a bit different to everybody else (until I did my BTEC) I left for London in 2004 and  my parents and brothers moved far away not so long ago so I never really gave it a chance. 

However, my sister and her family still live in the town. Lucky she has some arty friends and therefore knows of some pretty cool places that have since popped up . She took us to the most AMAZING SHOP in the World!

Its called A Most Marvellous Place To Shop  each section is rented out to an indervidual local trader selling everything imaginable from antique furniture to vintage, on-trend fashion in a friendly and fun environment. Arts and crafts are also represented with local artists, photographers, potters and artisans showing and selling their works.


It really is the most marvellous place to shop. I brought a cake mixer for £8 a hat for £5 and something else that i can't remember. I could have brought a lot more...believe me!


Owners Gilly and Joe say:

" a shop that's both quirky and lots of fun. The feedback from our customers has been amazing, they tell us they love shopping here. Most Marvellous is bringing much needed visitors to our town"

It really is just what Northampton needed! 2 floors of amazing vintage-art-kitsch.

Not only that but they have a great little teashop with decorated plates all over the wall, and each table has its own quirky salt and pepper pots. Una, I know your reading this...go visit!

below is the family larking around!











Post a Comment