Emilythepemily is AN INDEPENDENT BRITISH ILLUSTRATION LABEL SELLING HAND PRINTED T-SHIRTS AND ACCESSORIES INSPIRED BY ROCK N ROLL, TATTOO AND TEA. This is a Blog by Illustrator Emily Boyd

6 Feb 2010

ITS BEEN A WHILE, LET ME FILL YOU IN

MAY
I completed my Graduate Certificate in digital surface design, the course and MA were discontinued shortly afterwards so no Graduate diploma. It really was the best thing I've ever done and I cannot believe the government scrapped them. They dilute my degree more and more every day by making degrees accessible to everyone in the country, then when want to do the next thing up from a degree, funding it myself, they scrap it. What ever next?

With a new lease of life I gave my best mate and I a plan to have a market stall by xmas 2009 and get our business up and running my 2010. An reasonable ammount of time considering we where both working full time.

JUNE
My best friend had helped her flatmate print my designs onto some t-shirts, ready to sell
at Glastonbury festival.

I only found out because the flatmate had put photographs up on facebook of her at Glastonbury.

I felt sick when I saw the photographs. Something that I enjoyed doing and worked so hard to create was finally paying off, I had amazing feedback at my show I had even sold a few things. For once I felt like my own abilities could really get me somewhere, and that my ideas were actally quite good and on trend.

All of that was destroyed. My work had been ripped off by a 'friend'. she was selling them to mass audiences before I even had a chance. I was mortified.

The annoying thing about it is I gave the 'friend' loads of advice about screen printing.

Meanwhile, me and my boyfriend had decided to get married asap and sept 19th was the first availability.

I bit my tongue and got on with my life. The day before my wedding my friend just had to let me know that her flatmate and her were going to set up a stall in Brick lane as a 'pop up shop'...

oh, wonderful I thought. no invite- not that i would have wanted to join them as my designs would have been along side copys of my designs- but it was our idea, our target. and she'd totally just jumped on the bandwagon, with no thought to who she was with, or what it meant to others.

I confronted both of them -

The flatmate replying 'we came up with these designs as a group, sorry if you think they look like your designs. we're not even going to use the designs any more'

The friend replying 'Its nothing to do with me its between you and her (the flatmate) , you took too long anyway'

I don't speak to either of them any more. I've learned a lot from this.

I later found out that they did use my designs in both their 'Brick Lane stall' and their 'Bethnal Green jumble sale'

I was so shocked/hurt/surprised it knocked me for six... if my 'friends' could use my designs and feel no remorse what would everyone else do with them???

its taken me until very recently to prperly get over it. After many talks with friends and family 1. to make sure I wasn't going mad 2. to decide what to do next, I now feel I can carry on and really make a go of this, and make it work, and best of all leave my job.



Oh before I forget..... please judge for yourself. (my designs are on the right) please consider that i saw some of the 'flatmates' designs before the incidences took place where moustaches, bold prints and line drawings did not feature on ANY of them.
LEFT: COPY CATS  RIGHT: KAREN HILTON DESIGNS
LEFT : COPY CATS RIGHT: EMILYTHPEMILY


AUGUST
I moved from a studio in Richmond to a 2 bed house in Hounslow. And guess where my new studio is.... thats right, the second bedroom. very exciting.

SEPTEMBER

I got married.... in Richmond registry office. - a bit of woo har over having 'God Gave Rock n Roll To You' by Kiss because it has a religious connotation to it???? but they allowed it. so we has that playing as I walked down the isle and 'Baby I Love You' by the Ramones as we left...

it was a fun day and all the photographs where bloody marvellous.... taken buy some close friends of mine

Post a Comment