Emilythepemily is AN INDEPENDENT BRITISH ILLUSTRATION LABEL SELLING HAND PRINTED T-SHIRTS AND ACCESSORIES INSPIRED BY ROCK N ROLL, TATTOO AND TEA. This is a Blog by Illustrator Emily Boyd

21 Apr 2009

FABRIC PRINTING-TSHIRTS

Inspired by the folky-mehndi type I Blogged earlier here I produced some illustrations suitable to be turned into fabrics printing screens. and the process by which to do this is lengthily but worth it.







So i turned all my images from my sketchbook into a pattern on photoshop and enlarged the images to a3. Fabric screens have a much lower mesh count (43T & 53T) than paper screens (70T) therefore intricate designs are lost in the mesh and unsuitable for fabric screens so I had to make my design much bigger to thicken the lines made with a 0.05 pen.



I wanted 2 screens, one for the background and one for the foreground pattern.



Originally I wanted to have a gradated effect as a background image, however, space on the screen meant that I was unable to do that.



The foreground pattern was made by putting the pattern into drafting film and exposing that onto a fabric screen.

The background was made by cutting out the cloud/tear/lightning shape on amber leaf and then exposing that onto a screen.


once all that had been done I had two fabric screens ready to go...and then i just printed away!

I bought some t-shirts (£5 for 3) some pillow cases (£2) and some canvas bags from eBay (approx £1 each) to print with.. how exciting...
Post a Comment