Emilythepemily is AN INDEPENDENT BRITISH ILLUSTRATION LABEL SELLING HAND PRINTED T-SHIRTS AND ACCESSORIES INSPIRED BY ROCK N ROLL, TATTOO AND TEA. This is a Blog by Illustrator Emily Boyd

15 Mar 2009

INSPIRATION STATION- FOLK ART









Whilst doing my ceramics and looking at Mehndi I have also been looking at the ultimate crafts for my project. Ancient and traditional pictures and patterns used to decorate a plethora of things. I'm paying particular attention to Mexican, European and American folk art.

Last summer i visited the American Folk Art Museum in New York which was being refurbished at the time (as was the Guggenheim!) but the shop was excellent and in London I always visit and buy stuff from a shop down Columbia road (just opposite Ryan town) called Milagros which is just the most fantastic shop in the whole world. I love the colourful a4 board paintings all over the walls. Speaking to the shop keeper they are drawn by a father Lucas Lorenzo and his two sons Jesus and Aurelliano. Each board cost approx £18 and the shop always has something different inside each time I go.



I love what people call 'folk art' but i don't consider it 'folk' at all. I don't consider it naive or primitive but quite the opposite.

these contemporary illustrators remind me of folk artists...



Ward Kuypers, Chris Silas Neal, Martin Haake, Laura Carlin

and my very favorite Cornelia O'donovan
Post a Comment