Emilythepemily is AN INDEPENDENT BRITISH ILLUSTRATION LABEL SELLING HAND PRINTED T-SHIRTS AND ACCESSORIES INSPIRED BY ROCK N ROLL, TATTOO AND TEA. This is a Blog by Illustrator Emily Boyd

11 Mar 2009

CERAMIC DECALS

So I brought a selection of mugs from Ikea. I was thinking about muted colours, chunky, handle-less design and no curves. Price also came into it and the little brown one was only 19p!!
Then i fired them at uni to make sure they where suitable for re-fireing, which they were, this took 2 weeks would you believe! its a bugger only being in one day a week.





I brought some layout paper and started to measure and draw around all of the mugs to get the exact measurements of the (ever so slight) curves on the mugs.. this was not fun.

I thought am i being a little too presice here?? It was rather difficult trying to measure mugs with slippery glazes. I must have printed out images about 20 times and each time the images would fit around the mug, so i'd re-measure, re-print and then re-try over and over again...aaarrggghhh.





I managed to hand 2 A3 designs in (at a cost of £9.50 a sheet from HERALDIC POTTERY)

Still waiting for the decals to come back but when they do I shall put them on the mugs and fire them like they've never been fired before! I really am so excited by this!

Post a Comment